La Sainte Union Secondary School was a voluntary Catholic School run by the sister of La Sainte Union de Sacre Coeur, A Congregation founded in France , in 1826 to promote Christian education. La Sainte Union School , Banagher first opened its doors in 1863 in a house on Main Street. Many new buildings have been added especially in recent years. Originally boys and girls were accommodated in the boarding school. In 1927 the boys boarders transferred to the LSU convent in Killashee, Co Kildare. In 1974 the school again became co-educationally when the day boys enrolled.
St Rynagh’s CC, formerly known as Banagher Vocational School , opened in 1953. The school officially opened in mid October, by the then Minister for Education, Mr Sean Moylan. Forty students were enrolled under the guidance of the principal, Ms Elsie Naughton, RIP, who was highly respected and fondly remembered by all. St Rynagh’s has undergone many changes in appearance and facilities since its foundation including a major extension which was officially opened in 1986.