Convention Centre Dublin
Award-winning complex carbon neutral project
Gem Manufacturing and Gem Construction were awarded the contract for the fit out of the main auditorium in Convention Centre Dublin (CCD) in December 2008 by CMPL, a joint venture project between Treasury Holdings and John Sisk & Sons.
An Award-Winning Conference Centre
Designed by American architects Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo & Associates (KRJDA), Dublin’s new 45,894 square metre Convention Centre forms part of the Spencer Dock Development's regeneration of a former rail yard site, which is bounded by the Royal Canal, North Wall Quay, and Mayor Street, close to the heart of the capital. The building has won numerous awards, including one naming it as the world’s best conference centre, having received the title ‘World’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2017’ at the World Travel Awards.
- BREEAM Sustainability Rating "Very Good"
- Best Conference Events Venue at Events Industry Awards 2012
- Best Event Venue at Events Industry Awards 2012
- Confex 2011 M&IT Silver Award as Best Overseas Conference Centre
- Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland President's Award
- World's first carbon neutral convention centre
- Confex 2012 M&IT Gold Award as Best Overseas Conference Centre
- Confex 2012 M&IT Gold Award for Access Excellence
- ‘World’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2017’ at the World Travel Awards
GEM was tasked by the architects with the design, manufacture and installation of complex hardwood timber profiles to house the acoustic timber paneling of the ceiling of the main auditorium.
Two-Stage Heating System
Because of the size and complexity of the project, it was necessary to install a temporary heating system to manage climatic conditions during the construction process, to protect the timber of the roof. This intermediate system was designed and installed by GEM.
A major challenge for this large project, which GEM was able to meet, was management of the interface between different trades and contractors on-site, to ensure that access was coordinated, and schedules followed.
A World First for Carbon Neutrality
Thanks to cutting edge mechanical systems and its reliance on off-site renewable energy, Convention Centre Dublin is the world's first carbon neutral convention venue.
"...continued to impress me throughout the installation – the finished product is a testimony to your firm and employees. As you know all projects have a certain amount of anxiety therefore when someone brings a quiet intelligence to the process it really stands out – I thank you for your tremendous and valued effort"